Thursday, February 24, 2011

Fundamentalist christians do not understand humor

     Telling something to do something hazardous and potentially deadly and saying it is his "job" is not funny, is not a joke, and is not acceptable. Rhomphaia did that to me. Eventually, she pretended to apologize by saying it was a funny joke and that I should get the humor. That is what is affectionately known as a notpology. Now, she says I can't forgive her. Well, if I ever think she is sincere, then I'll be able to forgive her. But, while I think she would do it again in a heartbeat, I can't.
     Now, in the process of her making her notpologies, she said that she was trying to illustrate how ridiculous it was for me to tell "god" how to do his job. She failed utterly. However, I would like people to think about something. Is it really unreasonable to give suggestions for how someone might more successfully achieve a claimed aim? If given a useful suggestion to assist in accomplishing my tasks, I am normally appreciative. If given a well-meaning but harmful suggestion, I normally take it at its intent but explain why it won't work. And have I made any suggestions that are so unrelated to asserted goals as downing a box of laxatives would be to data entry?
     The christian god supposedly wants us to know he exists. But he hides himself. Even according to their "holy book," every time he showed up, people believed in him. It would appear that actually showing up is a reasonable suggestion, or that christians are incorrect as to their god's desires.
     At any rate, fundamentalist christians will say all sorts of harmful, hateful, mean-spirited things to and about outsiders. And they will never criticize each other for it. And when they are caught out, they will call it "humor." And they will make that excuse for each other. That particular segment of christianity attracts the nadir of human morality.

7 comments:

Piltdown Superman said...

Why does God have to do anything YOUR WAY? This isn't Burger King, Poindexter.

By the way, you're mixing your topics very badly.

Also, you called Rhomphaia a fundamentalist. I do not know if she would accept that label. Me, not for a minute.

Finally, your fear of OpenID and faith in Blogger/Google IDs is unjustified, since both can operate in very similar manners. You should know that.

Sincerely Yours,
SB

Pvblivs said...

Norman:

     Your god doesn't have to do anything. I am talking only about actions that are more effective in achieving the stated goals. If he's there, but wants me to believe that he is not, he is doing a great job of it. On the other hand, if he wants me to believe in him, a change in tactics would be more useful.

Rhomphaia (Sword) said...

Whew! I'm glad you were joking when you made the comments towards me about bullets+gun+towards my head!

Pvblivs said...

Rhomphaia:

     Actually, I was proposing a hypothetical. I said that if I had suggested that that was your job (I didn't) you would have been correct in determining that that was harmful and malicious rather than a joke.

Rhomphaia (Sword) said...

Exactly--- just as I suggested in my joke that you "learn how to do your job" since you think you know how God should do his.

Have you started studying how to have a sense of humor yet?

Rhomphaia (Sword) said...

Funny how you can make a SUGGESTION and I can't make a JOKE.

Oh- but you make your own rules for life-

I can't wait until you start calling black, white!

Pvblivs said...

     Except that I didn't make a suggestion. Here, I will recommend that you look up contra-factual conditionals. I was saying that if I had made such a suggestion (I didn't, but it would be analogous to your "joke") you would have been justified in saying it was malicious. I am not saying I can make such a suggestion. I didn't make such a suggestion. I won't make such a suggestion. And I think it improper to make such a suggestion. That does not preclude me from talking about what would have happened if I had.