Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It seems some christians are confused

     Now, now, I will have none of that. The mere fact of disagreement does not entail confusion. It is not reasonable to say that all christians are confused.
     Now, as I was saying -- some christians are confused. They will take a statement about the literary character of the biblical god and assume that you must believe that god to be real. Look, I can make statements about Ebeneezer Scrooge, that he was a greedy miser, and it does not imply that I believe he really existed. There is a description in the pages of a book. I am apt to talk about the christian god in the same sense. It does not mean in any sense that I believe him to be real. It means I am going by the description in the pages of a book. Why is this so hard for some christians to understand?

No comments: