Sunday, January 13, 2008

Work is a four-letter word

I found a book called How to be Idle at the library. So far, it looks rather interesting. One point that it makes is that workers have effectively become slaves to their jobs. There was a time, when most people were self-employed, when people were able to set their own hours and had more free time. Granted, there were far fewer gadgets. But when you look at it, modern industry has caused most people to work harder for less pay. If it weren't for the upper classes wanting to see people work to near exhaustion, the needs of the people in the world might be able to be satisfied by people working 15-20 hours a week.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like working. I work because I have bills to pay and I need to eat. Rather than focus on the "creation of jobs" (so that people can work for starvation wages) the government should focus on basic necessities being met for everyone even when jobs are not there. People should only need to work to achieve the comforts they desire. I am quite sure that there would still be enough workers to fill all actual needs. Although some of the paperwork might need to disappear.

No comments: