Friday, January 25, 2008

Understanding others' perspectives

     A comment that I saw about muslims assuming everyone else is christian (okay, I'm probably misinterpereting that; I will try not to be offended when I am corrected) inspired a train of thought. People, in general have difficulty understanding the belief systems of others. Most things I see seem to try to pigeon-hole belief systems. As my own beliefs don't match any of the holes, no one seems to understand just what I believe.
     People also seem to think that their beliefs are "obviously true." Hello! If the beliefs were obviously true, there would be no dissent.
     I would like to see more people trying to understand different perspectives. They don't have to agree, just understand. It should be reasonable to be able to think of the consequences of a belief without committing to it.

No comments: