Sunday, July 24, 2011

Ah, Norman, lying again.

     He likes to fancy himself as educating people, but let that pass. At any rate, he has recently put up part of a screen shot of mine and falsely claimed that it exhibited argument from silence. It did not. The assertion of mine is that christians, like Norman, are willing to lie, cheat, steal, kill, etc. to further their ends. I also informed him that if he deleted my comment it would imply that christians, like himself, do this. But this isn't because of an arguement from silence, a false dilemma, or any other logical fallacy. It is because, by deleting my comment, he exhibited the very behavior of which I accused him. In other words, his deletion of my comment implied that he agreed with the charge whether or not I pointed it out. My pointing it out merely gave him the chance to reconsider. I'm like that.
     Now, Norman says that I was trying to manipulate him. I suppose a case could be made for that. One could argue that I was trying to manipulate him into honest discession by giving him a disincentive to engage in his normal behavior of suppressing everything that doesn't kiss his -- ahem -- feet. The fact is that if he remotely believed his lies about me, he would let all my comments stand. He would think that they portray precisely the image into which he wishes to cast all non-christians. The fact that he doesn't and even edits my screen capture to prevent anyone from seeing what he doesn't want them to see speaks volumes about his real beliefs.
     I also find it amusing that he uses the example of a bully saying "if you don't meet me where I say, you are scared." Well, I can admit that I have been scared of bullies. The fact is that the bully in his example is actually making a true statement. The manipulation comes from the fact that people don't want to admit that they are scared. Since it is Norman's analogy, we may reasonably conclude that he agreed with my assessment of christians, but doesn't want to admit it.

No comments: